[Sussex] ssh/sshd problems!

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Mon May 12 18:44:01 UTC 2003

> All,
>
> I'm building a Firewall from scratch using core linux.
>
> I'm trying to install ssh onto it, and I've run into a problem.
>
> ./configure went fine once I'd installed the correct librarys, and
> make/make install work a treat. sshd will even run and listen on the
> assigned port. The problem is, when I ssh to the firewall box (which can
> be pinged!), it won't validate me!

I'm assuming you are using openssh:

Did you do ./configure --without-shadow ?

If you do an ssh -vvv servername, you will get three levels of debug
information from the ssh client.

> I haven't shadowed my passwd file, so I don't know if that makes a
> difference, but seeing as I'm not sure how to shadow my passwd file, I
> can't test it!

You need to compile programs to use the passwd file rather than shadow
then, or it will fail.

LinuxFromScratch have a tutorial for installing shadow:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/4.0/chapter06/shadow.html

--
John