[Sussex] Dual Boot questions

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri May 23 09:01:01 UTC 2003

G'Day Gavin

On 22 May 2003 at 21:46 Gavin Stevens wrote:

> I've been quiet for a while now, but big changes happening for me:
> I'm going to be a dad in November & have now moved from Crowborough
> to Angmering, where I am living with my partner & her 7 year old son
> from her first marriage.

Well welcome back and congrats.

> All fine, apart from limitations of space. This means that I can no
> longer have the luxury of 2 computers - 1 for Windows & 1 for Debian.

'Tis often the way.

> So I'm planning to get a second hard drive for my main machine & dual
> boot Windows (95 if I can, but 98 looms) & Debian 3 (once I've ordered
> the CDs from cheeplinux.com). Before I even think about doing anything,
> it seems like a good idea to get any useful hints that may be around
> for dual booting.

As long as you have an old set of Debian CDs (or floppies) and a link to
the web you don't need to buy the latest copy to upgrade.  Debian's
packaging system is the best out there.

Do an absolute minimal install (I do mean minimal; base packages only).
Once you have the link to your ISP working then:

   1). Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to read:
       deb ftp://frp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
       deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US/main
non-US/contrib nonUS/non-free
       deb ftp://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

   2). As root run:
       # apt-get update
       # apt-get distupgrade
       # apt-get upgrade

The last apt-get doesn't always need to be done but I have found that some
times it does.  Of course I'm normally upgrading to an testing version of
Debian so this might have something to do with it.

If you have a broadband link then this is by far the best way of upgrading.
If you have a dial up account then run this overnight.  It will hog the
phone lines for some hours.  But at the end of it you have the very latest
(inc bug fixed and security patches) installed.

You can then start "apt-get install"ing those packages that you want.  Also
run "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get upgrade" ever so often to get any
security pactches for the packages you have installed.

Hope this helps