[Sussex] Gentoo Flags

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Fri Nov 28 09:55:37 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 09:01, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hullo again,
>
> Thought this should probably be a separate thread, someone last night
> (Nik?) talked about changing the Make Flags to enable the ebuilds under
> gentoo to compile in a more optimal way, something about changing from
> 03 to 02?

Well, he's referring to the level of optimisation used by GCC by default
when emerging.  Go look at /etc/make.conf find the variable CFLAGS.

The -O setting sets the level of optimisation (this is a shortcut for
setting a lot of other flags).

My advice - if your emerge is working fine now and you don't truly
understand what this does then leave this alone

This is the root of the problem expressed in my response to the "Gentoo
translations" post.  -O3 is perfectly stable and acceptable for 99.9% of
situations.  ebuild that fail when heavily optimised are set up to
ignore these settings anyhow.  Most people who talk a lot about this
stuff in relation to Gentoo have no idea what they are talking about or
what the net effect of the actions they suggest will be.

> If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great, because I
> didn't quiet understand last night.

The pub is not always the best venue for a technical discussion.

--
GJT
gteale at cmedltd.com

I develop for Linux for a living, I used to develop for DOS.
Going from DOS to Linux is like trading a glider for an F117.
(By entropy at world.std.com, Lawrence Foard)