[Sussex] broadband

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 6 15:03:00 UTC 2003

Hi Angelo

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:06:08PM +0100, Angelo Servini wrote:
> Hello sussex,
>
>   looks like I will be getting Broadband - Yay!

Congrates

>   Question (anyone able/willing to help?)
>
>   0001 Whats the best provider? or at least a decent link for provider
>        comparisons.  I have had a look, but its amazing how none of
>        them quote their daily download limit!

I've selected ZenADSL.co.uk as my provided - but I'm not up and working
yet because I need to go onto the extended reach - hopefully the end of
next week.  But I have been talking with them and have the answers to
your questions.

>   0010 If its always on, can I manage email (procmail/sendmail) on my PC?
>        or is it best to manage by signing up with a mail provider for
>        email. The trouble with that tho is it costs more dosh, unless
>        the provider includes it in the package.

Zen has told me that they will root e-mail on to my systems using SMTP
if that is want I want (it is).  However, I have also registered for
my own L3 domain (the-geek.org.uk).  When I have got my ADSL link
(with a friend as my send DNS server) I will fully set that up so
that e-mail will be delivered straight to that box.

>   Tiscali, seems a good deal where you get free email addresses,
>   webspace, free hookup and free modem as well as 512k for 27 quid a
>   month.  I might go with them, seems reasonable.

Zen are about the same.  I would expect all ISPs to offer e-mail,
webspace & modem as a backup.

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #18: You can see all of the current bugs for a given package by
going to http://bugs.debian.org/<package>