[Sussex] Debian install - No sound

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Sep 6 19:38:01 UTC 2003

On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:30 am, you wrote:
> Hi John
>
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:56:11PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> > Does anyone know where or what I need to look at to try and get sound out
> > of my debian install?
> >
> > So far, the only hint I've had is that when logged into root, I get a
> > error message that says "/dev/dsp no such file or directory".
> >
> > I have done some digging around and tried a few "hit or miss" things, but
> > nothing has come of them, and I haven't got a clue what to try next.
>
> First of all what sound hardware do you have?
>
> Boot into Mandrake and then do a "lsmod".  On my system I see the
> following: $ lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> pcmf502r3              68672   1
> 3c59x                  24880   0
> ide-cd                 26852   0 (autoclean)
> cdrom                  28704   0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
> i810_audio             19720   1
> ac97_codec              9928   0 [i810_audio]
> soundcore               3300   2 [i810_audio]
> ds                      6344   2 [pcmf502r3]
> yenta_socket            8640   2
> pcmcia_core            34144   0 [pcmf502r3 ds yenta_socket]
> mousedev                3736   0 (unused)
> hid                     8572   0 (unused)
> usbmouse                1820   0 (unused)
> iptable_filter          1668   0 (autoclean) (unused)
> uhci                   23536   0 (unused)
> usbcore                54080   1 [hid usbmouse uhci]
> serial                 43172   0 (autoclean) (unused)
> isa-pnp                27492   0 (autoclean) [serial]
>
> Note that the core sound driver (soundcore) uses "i810_audio".  From
> reading I also know that the i810 Intel chip uses a AC'97 Audio CODEC which
> is why you also see "ac97_codec" loaded too.
>
> Boot back into Debian, and load the module by hand by typing:
>    # modprobe <mod-name>
> If you then do a "lsmod" you should see something simular to the Mandrake
> system.

Well, I have manage to get part of the way. I did the modprobe stuff and then
added emu10k1 to the /etc/modules

> If you add the module name to /etc/modules it to be automaticlly loaded
> on the next reboot.

and now, when I do lsmod, I get this

debian:/home/john# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
ide-cd                 26176   0  (autoclean)
sr_mod                 11800   0  (autoclean) (unused)
cdrom                  27104   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd sr_mod]
scsi_mod               84952   1  (autoclean) [sr_mod]
agpgart                29472   3  (autoclean)
mousedev                3776   0  (unused)
hid                    17632   0  (unused)
usbcore                48160   1  [hid]
input                   3296   0  [mousedev hid]
emu10k1                52096   0
ac97_codec              9376   0  [emu10k1]
sound                  52268   0  [emu10k1]
soundcore               3524   7  [emu10k1 sound]
nvidia               1628160  11
natsemi                14536   1
af_packet              11400   0  (unused)
rtc                     5336   0  (autoclean)
ext2                   30400   1  (autoclean)
ide-disk                6592   3  (autoclean)
ide-probe-mod           7968   0  (autoclean)
ide-mod               129420   3  (autoclean) [ide-cd ide-disk ide-probe-mod]
ext3                   56544   1  (autoclean)
jbd                    34968   1  (autoclean) [ext3]
unix                   13316  82  (autoclean)
debian:/home/john#

> Now see if /dev/dsp exists.
>    $ ls -lL /dev/dsp
>    crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jan  1  1970 /dev/dsp

So, when I do the above, I then get this

john at debian:~$ ls -lL /dev/dsp
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jan  1  1970 /dev/dsp
john at debian:~$

> If you see this your up and running.

Not quite. I now have the system sounds i.e. opening/closing apps, the start
up/log in jingle and so on, but
I can't manage to get the kscd cd player to play an audio cd.

It doesn't matter whether I have a cd in the drive or not, I can't get it to
play. I have been into the kscd options facility, it always says that it is
using the default of /dev/cdrom, so I have tried changing it to /dev/hdb,
which according to the boot up dialogue is the cdrw, but when I change it, I
just get a SIGSEGV 11 error and kscd crashes.

So I am still lost - I have also tried to install realplayer, but apt-get
can't find it. I have tried downloading the "community supported" version,
and attempted to install it with dpkg --install
rp7_linux_alpha_debianslink_cs2.bin but again I get errors - I know that
debian offers "choice", but bloody hell, isn't it hard work!

Any ideas please (and of course thanks for the continued assistance)

regards

John D.