[Sussex] We want broadband!

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 9 13:08:00 UTC 2003

Angelo,

I would try and convince you NOT to go for the Alcatel.

I still have an alcatel speedtouch usb (yours for about the £20 mark -
offers ?) but if you want things set up quickly, then the slightly more
expensive, but definitely better way to go is the "ethernet/NIC" route.

My speedtouch was brilliant for just windows - that's the drivers that they
supplied - and it's easy enough to get the linux driver for it, but when it
comes to more than one OS, it was a pain. Also, just occasionally, mandrake
would decide to through in an error, that I never did manage to resolve (I'm
too impatient) - something about one of the commands in the speedtouch.sh
not being found, and although it's probably not too much of a problem to
sort, my novice approach was always to re-install mandrake, which always
cured it. I'm currently using the solwise SAR110, that I got via Neil Ford
(I think), anyway, it's absolutely brilliant, I haven't had to reboot it or
anything, the browser interface is vvv easy (even for a nugget like me), the
support was excellent (I've only had to ring them because I am such a
nugget), and setting it up for linux is a joke, it's that easy - mine is a
basic one with only 1 port, and it's got a serial port as will, if you ever
wanted to do some of that CLI stuff - but as I said, the browser interface
is excellent.

Just my 2 pence worth, if it's of any help.

regards

JohnD.