[Sussex] We want broadband!

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Tue Sep 9 10:41:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Angelo Servini wrote:

> Sorry Jon
>
> Unless there is a much better reason for having the solwise - Alcatel
> are selling an internal PCI, ADSL Modem for about 29 quid inclusive of
> postage.  A PCI device should install under Linux pretty easily (i've
> also been avoiding USB as it seems a little flaky under Linux at the mo.

I agree with Geoff's previous post. Internal kit can be rather flaky,
almost as much as USB ADSL. Remember, these cards are designed for Windows
with linux drivers as an afterthought. No problem re: router though, i'll
stick it on ebay.

> Also, could you explain the terminology please - as I'm pretty new at
> this.  Things like: CLI, SNMP, NAT and DSLAM?  Not that i'm straining
> NATs?  :D

OK (deep breath)

CLI - Caller Line Identification (when used in telephony conversations)
however, I use it to mean 'Command Line Interface'
SNMP - Simple Network Management Protocol - Allows you to read lotsa stats
and configure the router over hte network using a standard protocol (see
www.geekpeople.net/mrtg/ for an example of what SNMP can be used for)
NAT - Network Address Translation - Using 1 IP address for many computers,
aka Internet Connection Sharing in the windows world. Will allow your
internal IP range (192.168.x.x/172.16.x.x/10.x.x.x) access to the internet
through a 'translation' device that rewrites the packets as they leave the
network. Somewhat like a PO box, the Internet knows where the 'letters'
are going (public IP) but not WHO they are going to (internal client).
DSLAM - Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexor - The card at the
exchange that puts the ADSL signal on your telephone line and connects you
to BT's ATM network (same one that your ISP is connected to)

HTH, (Hope this helps ;) )

Jon

Jon Fautley           >o)     .^.     (o<   jon at geekpeople.net
+44 (0) 1403 24 1337  //\     /V\     //\   http://www.geekpeople.net/
Mail for PGP Key     _\_V   /(   )\   V_/_  +44 (0) 7984 714410
                             ^^-^^
           kill -9 'em all, and let root sort them out