[Sussex] Debian install - Still no sound (from cdrw/dvd)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Sep 14 16:11:01 UTC 2003

On Saturday 13 Sep 2003 6:47 pm, Steve Dobson wrote:
<snip>
> Here is the break down.
>
> $ ls -l /dev/dsp
> lr-xr-xr-x  1 root root   9 Sep  6 23:47 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp
> After a reboot do you see the same output that I get from mine?
<snip>

Yes, I get the same result from ls -l /dev/dsp

<snip>

Well, we may be getting somewhere, though when I do "cdplay -d /dev/hdc"

It still gives me this

john at debian:~$ cdplay -d /dev/hdc
cdplay: ioctl cdrommsf
john at debian:~$

Which is really confusing me, because when I put a disc in the dvd drive and
do either "cdplay -d /dev/hdb" or just "cdplay", the disc starts spinning and
the green light on the front of the drive is flashing away like "a good'un".

As previously, we know that the driver is installed for the soundcard.

So the only thing that I could think of, is that did we need to configure the
system, so it knows that the cdrw device needs to be seen as scd0, that's
presuming that debian uses the scsi emulation that you mentioned previously -
I know that the mandrake partition does, because that's how I go kscd (and
grip for that matter) to play an audio cd (I'll have to boot back into
debian, but I will also have a go at getting "grip" installed and see if that
works or what errors I get).

regards

John D.