[Sussex] Debian install - Still no sound (from cdrw/dvd)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Sep 14 16:52:00 UTC 2003

On Sunday 14 September 2003 4:10 pm, John D. wrote:
> On Saturday 13 Sep 2003 6:47 pm, Steve Dobson wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Here is the break down.
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/dsp
> > lr-xr-xr-x  1 root root   9 Sep  6 23:47 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp
> > After a reboot do you see the same output that I get from mine?
>
> <snip>
>
> Yes, I get the same result from ls -l /dev/dsp
>
> <snip>
>
> Well, we may be getting somewhere, though when I do "cdplay -d /dev/hdc"
>
> It still gives me this
>
> john at debian:~$ cdplay -d /dev/hdc
> cdplay: ioctl cdrommsf
> john at debian:~$
>

> Which is really confusing me, because when I put a disc in the dvd drive
> and do either "cdplay -d /dev/hdb" or just "cdplay", the disc starts
> spinning and the green light on the front of the drive is flashing away
> like "a good'un".
>
> As previously, we know that the driver is installed for the soundcard.
>
> So the only thing that I could think of, is that did we need to configure
> the system, so it knows that the cdrw device needs to be seen as scd0,
> that's presuming that debian uses the scsi emulation that you mentioned
> previously - I know that the mandrake partition does, because that's how I
> go kscd (and grip for that matter) to play an audio cd (I'll have to boot
> back into debian, but I will also have a go at getting "grip" installed and
> see if that works or what errors I get).

Further to the above.

I now strongly suspect that this is something to do with the configuration of
the cdrw.

When I put an audio disc into the dvd drive, open kscd it see's the disc, no
track listing, but it tells the number of tracks and how long the total
recording is. With a disc in the dvd drive I have checked the options and it
see's /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

Also, if I then try the obvious, and press play, it starts playing - but of
course, no sound, because there isn't any connection to the sound card for
the dvd player - it's connected to the cdrw.

If I look in the file /cdrom there's nothing. If I look in the /dev/cdroms/
there is cdrom0 and cdrom1 - which I presume are the devices - though even if
I modify the option to read /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 or 1 (with a disc in the cdrw)
the kscd is still crashing.

So, is there some kind of config that I need to do to config the cdrw, I'm
suspecting for the scsi emulation (being a burner and all that), so the kscd
can see the drive when I modify the "device options"?? (I am pretty convinced
that the cdrw is the one called /dev/cdroms/cdrom1)

Oh, and I did the "apt-get install grip" which seemed to install, it started
once, but it couldn't see the disc/drive, but now won't start at all. So I'm
not at all sure what's going on there.

regards

John D.