[Sussex] Debian install - Still no sound (from cdrw/dvd)

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 20:05:01 UTC 2003

Evening John

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 04:51:28PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> On Sunday 14 September 2003 4:10 pm, John D. wrote:
> > Well, we may be getting somewhere, though when I do "cdplay -d /dev/hdc"
> >
> > It still gives me this
> >
> > john at debian:~$ cdplay -d /dev/hdc
> > cdplay: ioctl cdrommsf
> > john at debian:~$

I have to admit that I have no idea why you're getting this.

> > Which is really confusing me, because when I put a disc in the dvd drive
> > and do either "cdplay -d /dev/hdb" or just "cdplay", the disc starts
> > spinning and the green light on the front of the drive is flashing away
> > like "a good'un".

That's good to know.

> > As previously, we know that the driver is installed for the soundcard.

That is also good to know.

> > So the only thing that I could think of, is that did we need to configure
> > the system, so it knows that the cdrw device needs to be seen as scd0,
> > that's presuming that debian uses the scsi emulation that you mentioned
> > previously - I know that the mandrake partition does, because that's how I
> > go kscd (and grip for that matter) to play an audio cd (I'll have to boot
> > back into debian, but I will also have a go at getting "grip" installed and
> > see if that works or what errors I get).

That can be useful for some things but it don't think it is needed here.
I would expect that "grip" will work to rip the CD - I've used it do do that
on my system, although now I use "cdda2wav", "cdda2mp3", ...

> I now strongly suspect that this is something to do with the configuration of
> the cdrw.

I think you're right.

> When I put an audio disc into the dvd drive, open kscd it see's the disc, no
> track listing, but it tells the number of tracks and how long the total
> recording is. With a disc in the dvd drive I have checked the options and it
> see's /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
>
> Also, if I then try the obvious, and press play, it starts playing - but of
> course, no sound, because there isn't any connection to the sound card for
> the dvd player - it's connected to the cdrw.

Well one option is to connect the lead to the DVD rather than the CDRW and
only play CDs on your DVD.

> If I look in the file /cdrom there's nothing.

/cdrom is a mount point to mound a data CDROM.  DVDs may also use it as DVDs
have a file system IFAIK.

>                                               If I look in the /dev/cdroms/
> there is cdrom0 and cdrom1 - which I presume are the devices - though even if
> I modify the option to read /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 or 1 (with a disc in the cdrw)
> the kscd is still crashing.

The /dev/cdroms/* are symbolic links to the devices.

> So, is there some kind of config that I need to do to config the cdrw, I'm
> suspecting for the scsi emulation (being a burner and all that), so the kscd
> can see the drive when I modify the "device options"?? (I am pretty convinced
> that the cdrw is the one called /dev/cdroms/cdrom1)

Try the command "dmesg | less".  It will show you some important kernel messages
that were reported at boot time.  This can be very helpful in determine how the
kernel has configured the devices it has found.

> Oh, and I did the "apt-get install grip" which seemed to install, it started
> once, but it couldn't see the disc/drive, but now won't start at all. So I'm
> not at all sure what's going on there.

As whom are you runnng it?  Check the permissions on the device files at the
end of the /dev/cdroms/* links.

--
Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #18: You can see all of the current bugs for a given package by