[Sussex] Procurement strategy was IM Server

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 19:25:56 UTC 2004

Ahem... slipped "send key" before finished...

Oh absolutely. The question of "which procurement strategy to use for a
given purchase" is long and tedious.

 A mate did an MBA thesis on it once...

 ... interesting stuff, if you like that kind of thing :-)

Where reverse auctions tend to work is when:

1: The item being purchased is available from a large number of independant
suppliers
2: The item being purchased is relatively "off the shelf"
... which might mean it is multiple suppliers quoting for supply of the same
item, or items that are sufficiently commodity-like to be substitutable as
such.
3: The quantities being purchased, or the potential importance of the
customer, are sufficiently large to allow suppliers to modify their "off the
shelf prices"

If you break ANY of these conditions, then you should use an alternative
procurement tactic.

I wasn't intending to imply that reverse auctions are the solution for all
procurement problems... the only people who make that claim are typically
providers of reverse auction software/services :-)

Regards,

Mark