[Sussex] About Gentoo..

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.com
Wed Aug 4 09:08:01 UTC 2004

As I mentioned when I joined, the distro I'm using at the mo is
Slackware.

Sadly, since upgrading to Slack 10, I've been having numerous issues I
can't fix, so I'm considering switching to another distro. And, having
had lots of fun compiling things whilst doing an LFS install, I'm quite
tempted by Gentoo. Which, funnily enough, seems to be quite popular on
SLUG, too..

Before I go to the effort of downloading & installing it, I'd
appreciate it if a few questions could be answered:

Does the "emerge" thing really work as well as they say it does?

Does it cause any issues if you install something manually rather than
using "emerge package"?

Kernel 2.6 or 2.4? (I haven't switched to 2.6 yet as I keep hearing
complaints about it breaking things)

Anything else you think I might want to know before I start..?

Cheers!

Dominic