[Sussex] A year with Debian

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Tue Aug 10 06:13:20 UTC 2004

Gavin

A lovely story of your LInux success.  Thank you.

My experiences are similar though different.  I have opted for IceWM
because it never lets me down, is really simple, lightweight and does
eveything my modest needs require; but otherwiae my detailed choices are
different from yours (isn't it nice to have choices?) although for much
the same reasons.

Gentoo, because of the Open philosophy and, after trying several others,
it just seemed easier to me and more logical.

Mozilla for much the same reasons, plus I am now using the Mozilla XUL
toolkit to develop business applications for customers.

Gentoo filemanager (same name but different provenance) - a totally no
frills but very powerful FM with almost no need to ever use the mouse,
excellent over VNC.  {Pity that it seems to be at the end of it's
development cycle, although the few improvements I would like aren't
showstoppers.}

OpenOffice - I needed something a bit more heavy-duty than Abiword and
also wanted to inter-operate with M$ Office.  The M$ compatibility isn't
100% I'm afraid so I have CrossOver Office for emergencies.

I do very little with video and imaging so I have to confess to still
using Windows for this.  I feel that I have to have a Windows box to
support a number of my users, so it's easy to be lazy.  If it wasn't for
the customer support needs I would get rid of Windows altogether.

Tony