[Sussex] A year with Debian

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Aug 10 22:35:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:38:27 +0100 (BST)
"Tony Austin" <tony at gigaday.com> wrote:

> A lovely story of your LInux success.  Thank you.

I'm glad you liked it.

> My experiences are similar though different.  I have opted for IceWM
> because it never lets me down, is really simple, lightweight and does
> eveything my modest needs require; but otherwiae my detailed choices
> are different from yours (isn't it nice to have choices?) although for
> much the same reasons.

Choices - how wonderful. Actually, thinking about it; it is amazing how
much choice there is for those who choose the Penguin.>
> OpenOffice - I needed something a bit more heavy-duty than Abiword and
> also wanted to inter-operate with M$ Office.  The M$ compatibility
> isn't 100% I'm afraid so I have CrossOver Office for emergencies.

I shall be using OpenOffice when I upgrade to Sarge. I used Star Office
5.2 on Windows & the Linux version ensured continuity. So OO should be
quickly familiar.

AbiWord is great for quick letters, but is also capable of more: My
partner received a very large (500KB) .doc file with much important
information for her final year homoeopathy project. The file sadly
arrived corrupted in some way & it even crashed WordPerfect on her
Windows machine when she tried to open it (Tracy can't stand M$Office).
I e-mailed it to my machine, opened it up in AbiWord, checked it over,
re-saved it as a .abw file & then printed out all 80 pages.

Gavin.