[Sussex] Mozilla Ok

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Thu Aug 19 16:49:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:16:13AM +0100, Angelo Servini wrote:
> Hi All
>
> As you know I am using a dual boot using Gentoo Linux + Win2k.  For
> compatability and (wanting the ability to access mail in both) I am now
> using Mozilla on both OS's.  I have a partition called (D:) that is Fat32
> and have my Win2k Mozilla directories on this D: drive.  I would like to
> setup Gentoo/Mozilla to use these directories rather than Home.  The trouble
> is that Gentoo seems to only want to access this D: drive as root.

Check your /etc/fstab...

Fat32 has no concept of users/groups and very little idea of
permissions. And Linux by default pretends that everything is owned by
root.

This can be changed in /etc/fstab (after which you'll have to unmount
+ remount):

    /dev/hdWhatEver     /home/angelo/shared     vfat uid=angelo,gid=family,umask=027

should do the trick - substitute the obvious strings for whatever is
suitable for you.

For more info: man mount and search for vfat

Hope this helps

> The above information is confidential to the addressee and may be
> privileged.  Unauthorised access and use is prohibited. If you
> received this message in error please tell us by reply (or telephone
> the sender) and delete all copies from your system.

oops. This was not addressed to me. I have broken the law. But I might
get away with it because the reception is not answering...

> Internet communications are not secure and therefore this Company does
> not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. This
> e-mail message has been swept by Activis e:)scan for the presence of
> detectable computer viruses, but we cannot guarantee that it is
> virus-free and you should scan this email for viruses prior to opening
> or saving any attachments.

Not much of an advert, but it gets the word around I guess...

> distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
> it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

I have no idea of whether I was the *intended* recipient without reading
your mind. But since I was not *named* in the email, I probably wasn't
(you'd be unlikely to pick the wrong person out of the address book,
wouldn't you?).

So.. I am not allowed to respond. And you are now prohibited from taking
any action based on my mail, because that would be based on reliance on
your original mail.  Sorry about that...

> Please note that communications sent by or to any person through our
> computer systems may be viewed by other members of the Hogg Robinson
> group.

Ouwwh!   EVERYBODY KNOWS!  I HEAR SIRENS!   GOT TO GO!  BYE!

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com