[Sussex] knoppix

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Aug 23 18:12:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 12:49, Gareth Ablett wrote:

<snip>
> Just out of interest is the installable version of knoppix just as easy
> to setup and get going, bar the obvious need for partitioning and stuff.
</snip>

Eon's ago, when I was first attempting something other than Mandrake,
"Dobbo the great" was kind enough to visit and show me the error of my
way's? when it came to installing Debian. I.E. why I couldn't install
the bugger!

When he went home I had a basic, but up and running debian install, I
still had some stuff to set up to get the system running as smoothly as
it had under mandrake.

He happened to mention that Knoppix was also debian based. So, as I'm
obviously a glutton for punishment, I thought I'd give it a go.

Dave Chapman had kindly donated a burned copy of knoppix 3.2 to "your's
truly", so I bunged the disc in and booted the system.

Now if I could be bothered, I'd have quoted your "wow" comment in 72
point font size.

It recognised everything, scanner, printers, etc etc. All I had to do
was configure my ethernet card (which even an idiot like me could
manage).

As with all of the distro's I've tried, it had far more applications and
stuff that I knew what to do with, but it was the hardware recognition
that stunned the hell out of me.

It took a little while for me to work out how to multi-boot it with
mandrake and XP, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only real reason that I moved away from it, was "wanderlust"! Gentoo
was calling :-)

I seem to recall that it offered me the option of installing it as
knoppix like or debian like. I never did work out the difference. The
only thing that took me a bit to work out was the modification of the
apt-sources list, and which sources I wanted to have for installing even
more stuff that I hadn't got a clue how to use (a bit too much of the
"seemed like a good idea at the time"!).

If you haven't already looked, I got nearly all my knoppix info from
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/

Though I suspect that "for a man of your calibre":-p it should be a
"doddle"

regards

John D