[Sussex] Dedicated box

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 13:09:15 UTC 2004

 From: Al Bennett [mailto:al at plasticfish.co.uk]
 Subject: [Sussex] Dedicated box

> Howdy
>
> Nice to see y'all last night.  Interesting venue, shame about lack of
> food...  Maybe we can do another WAP deal with the Chinese (takeaway, not
> all 14 billion of them) in exchange for free food?
>
> Anyway, I'm after a cheap root box.  Cheap being the thing here.  I'm fine
> with it being hosted in the Land of Cheap Bandwidth over the pond.  Spec
> isn't really critical as it'll be fairly low usage, I just need root (which
> most people would argue is very dangerous for me to have).
>
> I'm looking at 1&1 (USA) Root server I or II:
> http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/ServerRoot
>
> Anyone have any experience with them or other suggestions for CHEAP outfits?
>
> Ta in advance!
>
> Al

I've had bad experiences with 1&1 UK on a dedicated server with tones of problems on it. And the connection. And they weren't very helpful with the problem in fact they charged me for nothing.

I know someone that worked for 1&1 support and he said they where getting better so it might be worth it. Alternatively the USA branch maybe a lot better.

LOL that URL above with .co.uk in it reveals that they charge £49 per month and the US charge $49 that a huge price difference.

I don't tend to use servers in the US tbh but I do use 34sp.com in the UK for a dedicated server.

Ps. although I must sound like it now I don't complain at everything there are some very good services and hardware about.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message. In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.