[Sussex] Multiple IPs on an ADSL line

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue Dec 21 13:20:21 UTC 2004

Hiya,

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:51:54PM +0000, Jon Fautley wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2004, at 12:34, Simon Huggins wrote:
> >On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:25:11PM +0000, Jon Fautley wrote:
> >>Zen don't hassle you for IP requirements for anything less than a /29
> >>(8 addresses). I really don't see why Eclipse ask for that
> >>information, but you can basically put down anything you like there,
> >>they don't seem to read them lol.
> >To satisfy RIPE's requirements on them that they be able to justify the
> >usage if they are audited.
> Yeah, but IIRC (and I possibly don't) isn't it OK to specify it as
> 'customer allocated' for a /29 and longer prefix? Wasn't aware that
> they had to specify for each individual IP. I understand that RIPE can
> be quite anal with paperwork, but surely an exact record of EVERY
> address allocated would be a PITA to manage?

It's not that RIPE need it there and then but in case you're audited you
need to know why you've allocated them.

Also most ISPs would have an assignment window so it would never pass a
hostmaster's eyes anyway - the ISP would just create the block in the DB
having satisfied themselves that they could justify it to RIPE if needs
be.

> Besides, I think Eclipse are the only people that ask for it...

We ask for justification if only to stop people land-grabbing IPs they
don't need.

Simon.

--
* "But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads..." -  *
| Python                                                            |