[Sussex] Kernel re-compile?

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Feb 18 09:22:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 09:15 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:

> True if all your machines are the same or if you want to build big, kernel
> images that support hardware you don't own.  If, like me, you like to keep
> the kernel free of unneeded code (on the hope that it will be more stable)
> and all your machines are different then this will not work.

That depends.. if for instance you are likely to rebuild your machine,
it can be a boon.  But really I just wanted to raise the point - I think
more people should learn to use their packaging tools they are an
important part of what differentiates the various distros (although even
people like Red Hat have now got a handle on what makes apt-get a good
architecture and why they need something similar).

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology <gteale at cmedltd.com>