[Sussex] Kernel re-compile?

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Thu Feb 19 00:28:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 03:41:02 +0000, Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

Hi Steve,
Thanks, I'll give this a try (although I've a sneaking feeling that I did
this before & it couldn't find it). Worth another go, though.

> Before re-compiling have a look for module sr_mod.
> $ locate sr_mod

> If locate can find sr_mod for your version of the kernel then just add it
> to /etc/modules and it will be loaded at boot time.
>
>> Re-compiling the kernel has been the only suggested means of adding this
>> module. Now, I'm willing to take the plunge & give it a go, but (faint
>> sound of chicken noises) if there's an easier way, then I'm all ears.
>>
>> If re-compiling is the only way, then any helpful hints are most
>> welcome.

> I'm crap at remembering names, and I can't remember if you've come to a
> meeting.   Have we met?

Sadly, I've never made it to a meeting, although I would dearly love to.
Maybe when baby is a bit older, I can get to one.

I've read about re-compiling & it doesn't look too bad, although I would
hate to finish up with a "bad penguin" day like poor John C last weekend.

Thanks for help so far - I'll let you know about my sr_mod. Need bed now.

Gavin.