[Sussex] lin---s.com

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 11:49:39 UTC 2004

Does that mean that if I were to set up a company selling "windows" as
"Handcross Windows" then despite the fact that the product might be double
glazing; hang on, why doesnt microsoft go after double glazing firms then
--- could it just be that these are not a perceived threat to its objective
of world domination of the OS market.

>Well Mr. Fautley, how exactly is this idiotic?
>
>If I were to set up an I.T. company in the Horsham area with the name
>4ait or better still free-a-i-t do you not feel that it might cause
>confusion, and if I were particularly shoddy do you not feel it would
>reflect badly on 3ait if people confused the names?

Its not about confusion, its about ownership of a word - or about how crappy
the product is - as the American court pointed out - you should not be able
to trademark a generic word on its own.  The only thing that Microsoft
should be able to trademark is "Microsoft Windows".  Fair enough that is
their right as a company, and no one else should be able to use that name.
On the other hand, providing there is no other company called "Handcross
Windows", I would have the prior right to call my company that.  Even if
there is another called "Horsham Windows".

Thats my 2p anyway.

--
Angelo Servini
Programmer/Analyst
* angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company