[Sussex] /cdrom=/dogs_breakfast

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sun Feb 22 00:40:55 UTC 2004

Thanks for the various thoughts on insmod v modprobe. 'the kernel does not
recognise /dev/scd0 as a block device, maybe try "insmod driver"',(see
below), was me quoting from the error message I got when I tried to mount
the cdrom.

I am aware that kernel 2.6 is all groovy with ide sorted out & I can't wait
to get up to date & save loads of time by not having to mess around with
scsi emulation.

However, my immediate need is to be able - just for a while - to remove the
settings I have altered, (in a so far vain attempt to get ide-scsi working)
, & make it so that the cdrom doesn't go looking for scd/0 (i e: is as it
was when I first installed Debian).

As things stand with my system right now, scsi emulation won't work because
module sr_mod is missing. I need to add it, either by the suggestions of
Steve Dobson last week, or by recompiling the kernel. Either way, I need to
be able to mount /cdrom as itself (not scd/0) so that I can use the Debian
CDs (these currently refuse to work as well).

I hope this explains my need more eloquently & my apologies for not being
clearer the first time.

TIA for any help,

Gavin.