[Sussex] PCMCIA scsi adapter

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Feb 27 13:01:54 UTC 2004

Charles

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:40:05PM +0000, Charles_Thorns at veritasdgc.com wrote:
>       Thanks for the quick reply, I have severil IBM 3590 tape devices,
> which have a high voltage differential interface, speed is not really an
> issue, mearly the capability to attach these devices to a laptop. So far I
> have had no luck locating a PCMCIA card which is capable to attaching these
> devices.

Watch out.  Date rate for tape drives is more important than with disks.
>From IBM's website the 3590 as a data rate of 9 MBps[1], and with
compression could be higher.  If the PCMCIA bus is maxed out then you
could well have the tape stoping and starting.  That wastes tape and
so you won't get all the 10/30 GB of storage per tape.

If you find a good card please let me know as I kinda would like one too
and my buy one sometime.

Steve

[1]
http://www.cpuinc.com/ibm3590b11.html#specs