[Sussex] PCMCIA scsi adapter

Charles_Thorns at veritasdgc.com Charles_Thorns at veritasdgc.com
Fri Feb 27 12:40:07 UTC 2004

Hi Steve,
      Thanks for the quick reply, I have severil IBM 3590 tape devices,
which have a high voltage differential interface, speed is not really an
issue, mearly the capability to attach these devices to a laptop. So far I
have had no luck locating a PCMCIA card which is capable to attaching these
devices.

      Thanks Charles.

Charles

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:39:37AM +0000, Charles_Thorns at veritasdgc.com
wrote:
> Does anyone know of a PCMCIA Ultra wide differential SCSI adapter, ie
> a laptop equivilent of the adaptec 2944UW PCI card?

>From Dabs [1] the spec of the 2944UW is a "Ultra Wide SCSI" host adaptor
so it is compatible.

But what do you mean by "equivalent?"  I assume transfer rates.

A PCMCIA card (spec 2.1 [2]) for 16-bit interfaces has a maximum clock
speed of 10MHz and is therefore only cable of speeds of up to 20MBps
which is half the speed of the 40MBps of SCSI-2.

If you need to connect a SCSI disk via a PCMCIA interface try and use
the 32-Bit (CardBus) versions, as this interface can run at speeds of
20 - 33 MHz with a peak transfer rate of 132Mbps.