[Sussex] configuring xine?

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jan 20 20:51:52 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 12:48 pm, steve at dobson.org wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Long time no speak :-)  My fault :-)
>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:05:13PM +0000, john wrote:
> > does anyone know anything about configuring xine to play DVD's.
>
> I use mplayer as it was the first I got working, but I did look at xine
> when I started.
>
> > I've managed to get it installed and sort of running, but both the sound
> > and video playback are "jumpy"
>
> I had a simular problem, video and audio were a little jumpy and often out
> of sync.
>
> I found the cause was that the Real Time Clock device wasn't configured.
> Check to see that the RTC device is configured.  Here is what it looks like
> on my 2.4.20 kernel.
>
> $ ls -l /dev/rtc
> lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            8 Dec 27 15:35 /dev/rtc ->
> misc/rtc $ ls -l /dev/misc/rtc
> crwxrw-rw-    1 root     root      10, 135 Jan  1  1970 /dev/misc/rtc
>
> > Try applying scheduler patches, especially the O(1) and the preemptive
> > patches have proven useful at the time of this writing (spring 2003).
> > Linux 2.5/2.6 will probably have these improvements out of the box."
>
> The Preemptive patch when in to the 2.4 kernel stream some time ago - can't
> remember which version - but I use it.

Hi there Steve,

I take it you've been a little on the busy side :-? Good to see you back.

I went and found the /dev/rtc bits straight away, they look like this

bash-2.05b$ ls -l /dev/rtc
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            8 Jan 20 20:36 /dev/rtc -> misc/rtc
bash-2.05b$ ls -l /dev/misc/rtc
crw-r-----    1 root     root      10, 135 Jan  1  1970 /dev/misc/rtc
bash-2.05b$

but despite digging around the gentoo forum's for about 3 hours, I didn't find
anything that might tell me if my /dev/rtc settings are right or wrong. And
to make my life even easier :P I tried to have a go at mplayer, but in my
mandrake install, and have succeeded in killing my KDE.

Bonus eh? NOT!

So do you know of anywhere that might tell me how to interpret the /dev/rtc
stuff so I can work out whether or not it's correct?

And sorry to whoever it was that also sent something on my xine problem, but
that's buried in the mandrake install somewhere until I can get my "stuff"
re-installed.

regards

John D