[Sussex] Broadband Linux for Mike Diack!: Was re: a bit of news

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Jul 21 17:38:20 UTC 2004

Gareth

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 02:34:47PM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> I already have the domains, infact phpworld.co.uk is already pointing at
> my IP just nothing is routing to my kit properly.

Well there are no MX records for phpworld.co.uk.

    $ host -a phpworld.co.uk
    phpworld.co.uk          NS      ns.hosteurope.com
    phpworld.co.uk          NS      ns2.hosteurope.com
    phpworld.co.uk          A       82.152.92.137

Compair that with uthink.co.uk

    $ host -a uthink.co.uk
    uthink.co.uk            SOA     uthink.co.uk root.\@.uthink.co.uk (
                            405131147       ;serial (version)
                            7200    ;refresh period (2 hours)
                            900     ;retry interval (15 minutes)
                            604800  ;expire time (1 week)
                            86400   ;default ttl (1 day)
                            )
    uthink.co.uk            NS      kids.uthink.co.uk
    uthink.co.uk            NS      marvin.uthink.co.uk
    uthink.co.uk            NS      jorgensen.uthink.co.uk
    uthink.co.uk            MX      100 marvin.uthink.co.uk
    uthink.co.uk            A       82.68.142.129
    uthink.co.uk            LOC     50 46 N  0 13 E  5m  1m 10000m 10m

I note from the whois database that you're using hosteurope.com name
servers.  You need to ask them to add an MX record for your network.

The other way would be to set your machine as a name server and then
have a friend's machine as the backup.  If you want to do it this way
e-mail me (off-list) and we can set it up.  Karl and I have done it
this way - we even share the domain, but that is for other reasons.