[Sussex] Wanadoo nothing

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Thu Jul 22 08:30:37 UTC 2004

Gareth Ablett wrote:

> Steve
>

>>On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:13:24AM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
>>
>>>I still havnt canceled my old wanadoo but will do ver soon was just
>>>making sure my emails where going to teh right place.
>>>
>>>anyway thy sent a message out to say ther have new terms and
>
> conditions
>
>>>and this was at the top of it, which so technicaly i cant apply to
>
> so
>
>>>have to cancl the account.
>>>
>>>1. 	Becoming a Wanadoo Member
>>>1.1 	You can only become a Member of Wanadoo (a "Member") if:
>>>1.1.1 	You have a valid contract with BT for telephone
>
> services; and
>
>>>1.1.2 	You have a computer with Internet Explorer 5.0 or above.
>>
>>If I loaded a IE 5.0 binary on to my Linux machine would that make me
>>legal?  I may not be able to use it, but I would have a computer with
>
> it
>
>>so technically I'm okay :-)
>>
>>Steve
>>

> I suppose the term with is some what open to interpretation.

I suggest we call in our resident lawyer-a-like, if he's not too busy :)

> Although tbh I cant see why they need you to have IE 5.0 or above what
> does it have that could possible benefit Wanadoo unless of course the
> have some shifty spyware ie prog that they load up.

Because the helldesk staff can't handle anything other than IE5+ on
windows machines. Bear in mind they're quite possibly the least
technically trained people on the planet, and just have to follow a
script, clicking a BIG BUTTON corresponding to the problem the user is
having. By stipulating it in their T&C they can turn around and say
'Well, we can't support you because you're in breach of our terms and
conditions'

I very much doubt it's anything spyware related. I think if it was,
there would be a major data protection issue going on - and not even the
French are that stupid ;)

Jon