[Sussex] Wanadoo nothing

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Thu Jul 22 08:40:29 UTC 2004

> I very much doubt it's anything spyware related. I think if it was,
> there would be a major data protection issue going on - and not even the
> French are that stupid ;)

I think that this may be more to the point than you imagine.  These retail
ISPs like you to install from their official CDs or download, which will
tailor your IE with favourites, search engines etc.  They definitely do
not like you doing a non-CD install and bypassing, this as they most
likely have contracts with certain people that they will promote them on
their install disk.  Virgin for example, when you do a sign-up on-line
says that you MUST click the Run From Current Location button on the
Download screen; you have to be "in the know" to do Save to Disk and
bypass this - if you then look at the .ins file you will see what I am
talking about, there's about 4 pages of it and the only relevant bit is
phone number, username and password.