[Sussex] Neat MTA trick

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 14:37:12 UTC 2004

Jon Fautley wrote:

> Alan F wrote:
>
>> Had a thought this morning about another way to curb the deluge of
>> spam I get :)
>>
>> I have now setup Postfix and BIND so that mail sent to any subdomain
>> of my domains is accepted and sent to my maildir, the advantage being
>> that if an address gets abused I can blackhole it with an MX record,
>> so my MTA/spam/antivirus doesn't have to deal with it. Now that I've
>> started using it, should be interesting to have a clear idea of where
>> my spam comes from... As you can see, I've tried this for my SLUG
>> subscription (I've always had a suspicion that my address got
>> harvested from the lug.org.uk archives...)
>

> Same principal as the -suffix stuff that Qmail pioneered (iirc).

I thought about doing it with that part of the address using aliases,
but I'd have to set one each time I decided to use a new address, and
it'd still hit my MTA. But I suppose some people don't have such easy
access to their zonefiles.

> my mailserver is configured to have localpart+anything-blah or
> localpart-anything or localpart+anything to goto $localpart, so I can
> filter on that, i.e. have
> jon-slug at ilovetobespammedwithcrapaboutthesizeofmytodgerwhilealsobeingsoldstocksandotherrandomcrapthatimneverlikelytopurchaseinmylifeever.com
>
> and filter on jon-slug :)
>

> Jon

Another advantage is that I can selectively point spam at whoever I
please! *evil*

Btw Jon, if anyone over at nixhelp was wondering why I've been away for
the last few weeks (or not), it's because of exams, the last of which I
have on Monday... So I'll probably be back sometime next week :)

I was just taking a break, honest :)
Alan