Why is gnome better? RE: [Sussex] Promoting SLUG

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Tue Jun 29 16:04:08 UTC 2004

Thomas Adam wrote:

>You don't need to call it 'fvwm2' anymore. The naming scheme went back
>to using 'fvwm' seeing as fvwm1.x is no longer officially supported.

Oh.. OK.. I imagine that will be reflected in Debian sometime around
2020 AD.

>Assuming you're using fvwm compiled in with GTK support, it should work
>just fine. As for the aesthetics of it, that's down to the individual.
>2.5.10 though (so-called 'unstable' release, but that is over
>exaggerated) does have a patch for translucency (this is actually in the
>CVS version) if you want to "go wild". :)

We're using fvwm exactly as it comes "out of the box" with Debian
"Woody".   Sadly enough our main goal is to make it look as much like
Windows 2000 as possible (sober, familiar, business like is the order of
the day).  Until this year we had been using the full-on Digital Unix
red motif styleee that we all know and love ;-)

--
Geoff