Why is gnome better? RE: [Sussex] Promoting SLUG

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Jun 29 23:12:52 UTC 2004

I'll offer tuppence worth on this one, as I'm using KDE since I built my
new PC:

I really want to like Gnome. However, I always end up running away from
it. I find the Gnome Panel especially irksome for some reason (I think
the fish has something to do with it & the fact that [the last time I
tried] the hide/show panel button on the side, leaves a strip all the
way up the side of the screen where no application may go).

I decided to go along with KDE when I installed Debian from scratch on
the new PC because I just needed to get up & running again & so I took
what Tasksel (purely for speed) had to offer & KDE appeared. I am slowly
getting used to it, although I keep getting thoughts of going back to my
beloved Icewm with dfm, running in an X environment with almost no Gnome
content (only Gnome mixer & gtcd) & no KDE at all.

Gnome is also installed on the new system & I certainly feel I should
give it another go before I head off to familiar territory once more.

Whatever the whys & wherefores of the different environments, at least
we Linux users have a choice over our desktops. Windows users only get
what they're given.

Gavin.