[Sussex] Compaq Desktop for Sale

Mike Diack mike_diack at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:02:29 UTC 2004

Hi Steve.
Like I say, it's not yet definite, but I'd love to give my folks a hand this
way - they only basically web surf, email and write docs/spreadsheets.

I've got all of the OS's I need.
I'd probably look to Mandrakise and put Win 2K or maybe XP on it (as a dual
boot, with Linux as the default so that it actually takes effort on their
part to go back
to an insecure OS if they need it for some obscure back compatibility
issue!)

I am keen to push my folks to Linux, but we'll have to see how it goes.....
Eventually maybe that Microsoft option might disappear overnight from the
boot menu .... ;)

But for them, anything is an improvement over the current system, a Cyrix
6x86MMX PR300, 64MB RAM (can't upgrade usefully, since it's a 430 VX board
and thus can't cache more than 64MB RAM!) with an 8GB drive, currently
running Win98SE dual booting Win2K SP4.

This'll make you laugh though (it bloody made me weep!) ....... Because the
system is so under powered.... Installing Win 2000 took 4 (I kid you not!)
hours(!) and that was before I'd applied any service packs, IE/OE updates,
critical updates, direct x updates etc......................................

Mike