[Sussex] More gentoo problems!!!

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Mar 1 17:46:00 UTC 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 10:04, Steve Williams wrote:
> John,
>
> Sorry I couldn't make the moot on Thursday - I was up in Luton and got
> caught up in the usual M25 rush hour snarl up. Not helped by the current
> roadworks around Staines.
>
> When I first looked at the USE flags I thought that I would get away with a
> minimal number. After a bit of reading I decided to include all but the
> ones I definitely wouldn't be needing. This ended up being rather long but
> my system works fine as a result. The following will probably bring peals
> of laughter from the hardened gurus among the group, but this is what I
> ended up with:
>
> USE="3dnow aalib acl acpi adns alsa apache2 apm arts avi berkdb bidi cdr
> bonobo crypt cscope cups curl dga directfb doc dvd dvdr emacs emacs-w3
> encode ethereal evo fam fastcgi fbcon firebird foomaticdb freetds gd gdbm
> ggi gif gnome gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile imap imagemagick
> imlib innodb ipv6 java jikes joystick jpeg kde kerberos krb4 ldap leim
> libg++ libgda libwww lirc mad maildir mbox mcal mmx motif mozilla mpeg mpi
> mysql nas ncurses odbc oggvorbis opengl pam pcmcia pda ppds pdflib perl png
> pnp postgres prelude python qt quicktime readline ruby samba sasl scanner
> sdl slp snmp spell sse ssl sqlite svga tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype
> trusted unicode usb videos wmf wxwindows X Xaw3d xinerama xosd xml xml2
> xmms xv zlib x86"
>
> You can find a full list of USE flags here:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
>
> Good luck! If you think I can assist further please let me know.
>
> Steve Williams.

One of my main problems, is that if I want to have the best of both worlds, is
that I will have to keep mandrake installed, but then get gentoo re-installed
and bootable, to enable me to play.

This present's a couple of problems i.e. the difference between modules and
stuff that actually has support compiled into a kernel. Then what I actually
need. Closely followed by what is going to be the best (well, at least the
better) option.

I've still got to find out exactly what "compile time directives" are.

But, just like "British Rail", I'll get there eventually.

Thanks for the assist, thus far.

regards

John D.