[Sussex] wireless

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Mar 2 11:47:30 UTC 2004

Morning Simon

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:04:18AM +0000, Simon Chappell wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestion for the easiest pcmcia or usb wireless card..
> I have tried a couple but had so many problems that i had to shelve it.

Which ones have you tried?  I had trouble with my 3Com 3CRWE62092B for a
while under later 2.5 & 2.6 kernels but that turned out to be a race
condition in the firmware loaded that has now been fixed.

> Reliability over speed but a G would be nice if it is not too much of a
> climb to install

Under the original 2.4 the original driver (write by ATMEL the WiFi chip
makers) it was very stable.

When I tried the 2.5 (and test 2.6) kernels I found the race condition.
I very recently (like yesterday) upgraded to 2.6 and it seems fine there.
Given that I'm SSHed into my e-mail server over the WiFi link as I write.

I have found found a problem when I upgraded to 2.6.3 but that might be
the other Kconfig settings.  I've gone back to the 2.6.1 kernel as there
I get the WiFi to work and I'm still testing the testing but the basics
work (WiFi, dvd playback, ...).  Once I get everything working under
2.6.1 I migrate to 2.6.3 and see if it works there.  If not bug report
time :-)