[Sussex] ?utomated dial up

Scott James scott at coldcustard.org
Mon May 17 15:56:28 UTC 2004

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Diald-HOWTO.html

diald .. it sets up a virtual network connection then watches it, any
trafic going down that connection is captured, a ppp link is established
and the trafic rerouted.  It works amazingly well, so well in fact I
would caution you against using it ;-)

The problem is that linux is a very network aware OS, you would be
suprised how many things kick off a network request. I tried to set it
up so that outbound mail was held in a queue and only forced out when
the network was activated for a more pressing reason.  The problem was
that a reverse DNS lookup was issued for my mail, and try as I might I
could not coax sendmail (it was a while ago) to not do this.  There were
lots of other occasions where the network was activated for seeminly
random reasons.

My option of choice was to setup proxies for the services I wanted to
use and have them activate a connection on request.  I hacked squid (for
example) so that for any pages no in cache it would raise the connection
to get the page.

State of the art may have moved on, this was many years ago, however be
careful.  This may not be the solution you are looking for </jedi>.