[Sussex] Question re: my presentation

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Thu Nov 4 10:02:06 UTC 2004

Well certainly Yellowdog LInux didn't ship with diald - about the only
software that did on demand dialling when I wanted it in 1999/2000 when I
first got to grips with Linux.  Since I was using an old Mac (and am still
using the same machine now) there were problems with using it and pppd on
the PPC platform.  This was a bit bizarre since the guy that wrote pppd is
a Mac Linux guru ;-)  If it hadn't been for a lot of help from one chap on
the diald mailing list I would have thrown linux in the bin because I
wanted diald.  The Yellowdog system did a good job of installing KDE and
Gnome (runs appallingly on my Mac btw) but failed to do much with the less
commonplace packages.

Eventually, we found that there was a problem in the pppd software.  I
informed the said Mac guru and got the customary "sod off newbie, your
brain is too small to understand the majesty of my efforts" response.  So I
and a few others simply patched the code and I happily ran diald until I
got broadband.

I guess this illustrates both the strength and weakness of the Linux "free"
distribution model!

  Iain

--On Thursday, November 4, 2004 9:27 am +0000 Geoff Teale