[Sussex] fstab and mounting partitions ??

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 11 11:00:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:26, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:20:58AM +0000, John D. wrote:
>
> > Just a little addition that I forgot, how do I check where I'm
> > actually logged in i.e. in the /home rather than a home directory in
> > the / partition?
>
> What do you mean? The "pwd" builtin will tell you the full path.
>
> > and if I'm actually in a home directory in the / partition, how would
> > aI ctually get logged into the /home partition?

Well, I must have previously working in a home directory in the /root
partition, because as soon as I restarted the system, I now have all the
icons etc that I haven't had since I last had a working version of
mandrake (the give away being the windows app's that I previously had
installed under crossover office).

Plus all the previous questions/replies I've had from everyone have
disappeared and the result of your suggestion to try pwd now gives me

bash-2.05b$ pwd
/home/john
bash-2.05b$

The other "new" thing, is that I now have icons for mounted hard drives
(hard disc [/dev], hard disc (hda5)[/] and hard disc (hda6)[/home]) that
I've never had before, so before I customise anything again, I suspect
that I'll have to look into my /root partition to see what's still there
and how to copy anything over (pref's and mail etc).

regards

John D.