[Sussex]login/logout/reboot/shutdown question (Gentoo)?

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Mon Nov 15 00:26:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:23:19AM +0000, John D. wrote:

> Also to reply to Thomas, no, what I mean is that it does get as far as
> a text init3 type login but it seems to do like a startx type thing,
> but not until I've started typing either root or john (original user
> account eh what!). I don't actually have to get as far as putting in
> the full user name and password.

Aaah, then the only thing I can say here is that patience is a definite
virtue. :)

> Yes I probably have got my runlevels arse about face, because the
> line in the /etc/inittab says id:5:initdefault: so I'm presuming
> that that's wrong ? I'll change it to id:2:initdefault: and see what
> happens.

No, don't do that. I'm not sure how gentoo organises things, but Debian
does not distinguish any difference between runlevels 2->5 inclusive.
Changing gentoo's default runlevel 2 might not do what you expected it
to. :)

-- Thomas Adam

--
I know nothing, and understand even less.