[Sussex]login/logout/reboot/shutdown question (Gentoo)?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 15 00:23:28 UTC 2004

Sorry this isn't a "proper" reply, I was meddling with knoppix as well
and forgot to tell the mail client to leave a copy on the server and I'm
now back in gentoo with Steve Williams' and Thomas Adams' replies.

Anyhow, yes Steve, I've just checked the rc-conf and it does show:
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" and XSESSION="kde-3.3.1"

Also to reply to Thomas, no, what I mean is that it does get as far as a
text init3 type login but it seems to do like a startx type thing, but
not until I've started typing either root or john (original user account
eh what!). I don't actually have to get as far as putting in the full
user name and password.

Yes I probably have got my runlevels arse about face, because the line
in the /etc/inittab says id:5:initdefault: so I'm presuming that that's
wrong ? I'll change it to id:2:initdefault: and see what happens.

The init sequence may also be screwed up, but I wouldn't know as I can't
find what it's supposed to be!

regards

John D.