[Sussex]login/logout/reboot/shutdown question (Gentoo)?

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 15 14:29:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 19:13, John D. wrote:
> On Monday 15 November 2004 08:44, Stephen Williams wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > Have you considered SUSE for an "out of the box" trouble-free distro?
> > On-line updates all very easy etc. etc.
> >
> > Otherwise I'd stick with Gentoo - it's great once you get the hang of
> > it, but I agree that the install is distinctly non-trivial.
> >
> > Steve Williams.
>

> SuSE was the first distro I ever tried. Though while I played with it, I
> downloaded Mandrake and ended up installing that. Which I prefered over SuSE.
>
> That's one of the reason's that I was meddling with gentoo in the first place,
> because it appears that of distros that offer the ability to install once and
> then endlessly update, the choice IMO was Gentoo or Debian (and the only way
> I've ever managed to get a Debian distro up and running before -on my own-
> was via knoppix)(whereas the only time I've managed to have a "proper" debian
> running was after Steve Dobson kindly popped over and helped me/instructed me
> on installing it).
>
> That's why I put it on my hard drive after last nights disaster. At least I've
> got something. I don't really want to go back to mandrake. Well not until
> I've failed completely at everything else! :-P

Well, I like Gentoo alot. When I first installed it it was a complete
nightmare, but I stuck with it and now I don't regret it at all. The
nice thing about Gentoo is that portage works well and doesn't appear to
have much, if any, trouble with dependencies. You also get nice up to
date packages in the stable tree, but if you want cutting edge, it
offers the latest as well. Kde 3.3.1 for example.

Stick with it I'd say.

Steve.