[Sussex]login/logout/reboot/shutdown question (Gentoo)?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 15 18:47:23 UTC 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 09:29, Stephen Williams wrote:

<snip>
> Well, I like Gentoo alot. When I first installed it it was a complete
> nightmare, but I stuck with it and now I don't regret it at all. The
> nice thing about Gentoo is that portage works well and doesn't appear to
> have much, if any, trouble with dependencies. You also get nice up to
> date packages in the stable tree, but if you want cutting edge, it
> offers the latest as well. Kde 3.3.1 for example.
>
> Stick with it I'd say.
</snip>

Yes, I quite agree, I was of two minds earlier today, but I decided this
afternoon about that.

The only downside is that even a stage 3 +GRP install takes a good few hours
to finish, that's with out an emerge sync/update etc etc.

I was going to have a bit more of a look round, though as I sort of expected,
the best source of info is either the LUG or the gentoo forums.

As Thomas Adam mentioned, "It appears that your entire init sequence
is ........" etc etc. I think he'd hit the nail on the head. The difficulty
being, that for things like that, there's no real examples to follow or
explainations of things that can be "tweaked" to improve this or that.

I mean, yes I've heard lots of the "yaddah yaddah" about choice, but it's not
very helpful if there's no explaination of those very choices. I do so hate
having to take a "suck it and see" or hit and miss approach.

Still, there you go eh?

Erm, if "forewarned is forearmed", you'll know when I've re-installed by the
now ubiquitous barrage of questions that I tend to post when I attempt
anything that I'm not overly familiar with.

Thanks for the assistance and help thus far, it's very much appreciated.

regards

John D.