[Sussex] workaround script

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sun Oct 3 21:40:41 UTC 2004

> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:27:56PM +0100, John Crowhurst wrote:
>
>> #!/bin/tcsh
>          ^^^^
> You know that in general use tcsh is considered harmful. In _scripting_
> though, it should not be used. Why are you not using bash or zsh?

Yes, but I couldn't find a source for something to do it in bash. I got a
whole bunch of errors, so a google search found some code for tcsh.

>> Its horrible, especially as I couldn't work out how to get joe to work
>> in
>> perl, or I would have built in traps for empty strings and fixed the
>
> system() in perl will, if I follow what you're asking.

I'll try system, as `joe filename` did something bizarre and although
would let me type I couldn't see anything.

>> backup file so that it works with other paths.
>>
>> For instance, joe filename works, but joe path/to/filename doesn't.
>
> It works fine here.

joe does, but the script falls over terribly, as it tries to create a file
/tmp/path/to/filename.

--
John