[Sussex] My thoughs on "SLUG at the BCF"

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Oct 3 23:47:52 UTC 2004

Hi all

These are just my first after fair thoughts.

First my thanks to Nik (his idea to go to the fair in the first place)
and to Karl for their support.  A good time was had by all and our quick
after show huddle declared it a success.

Nik had some handouts printed which we gave out, and we took a
CD burner and burnt and sold just under 20 Knoppix CDs. At £2 a time
we are just about covering our costs, I think.  Nik, I'm sure, will provide
more details as he now appears to be SLUG's money man. :-)

As Karl wanted a new computer he walked about and bought the bits for a
new system (for under £500), but not just any system.  Karl is now
the proud owner of a AMD64 3GHz processor (Nik can you post the price
list please).

We ran Knoppix on it all afternoon and that generated a nice bit of
interested.  We got the normal comments of "That's not Window's is it?"
and "Is that a Mac?".  Knoppix, or similar, is the absolutely the right
thing to have on the stand to demonstrate Linux to the general public.

We already have out first new member from the fair.  So lets all welcome
Colin Tuckley to the group and make him feel welcome. He signed up about
two hours after the fair closed; the first, I hope, of many.

As he said Angelo turned up close to closing time.  Angelo you must try
harder next time.  ;-)

In fact everyone who didn't come must try harder next month as we have
already book space.  The next fair in Sunday November 7th, so you can't
say you weren't told well in advance.  Mark it in your diary now!  Get a
pass from your significant other and come along.

During the pack down we talked with a number of hardware vendors and
they are keen to help us out.  At future events they might lend us kit
to demo Knoppix on.  One even wanted us at at other shows so much that
he offered us space on his stand when we pointed out that the Group had
no source of income.

Lastly, the BCF (which host the event) also seem to like us.  They would
like us to start to run presentations on Linux.

All in all I think you will all agree, a good day's work.