[Sussex] Microphone problem

Antoine JOSSERAND a.josserand at free.fr
Mon Oct 18 16:51:06 UTC 2004

Thomas Adam a écrit :

>Are you using ALSA or OSS for sound?

I am using OSS.
Just because when I try to use ALSA, I get the error message following :

" Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device. "

BUT my sound seems to work (xmms ok, playing a wav ok...).

So I have just tried to use my microphone with Krec and using the ALSA
server but it fails again.

>I can't remember what the default
>kernel version is on Krappix, but you'll find that you'll need ALSA for
>duplex settings so that you can record/listen at the same time. While
>you can do this for some cards using OSS, not all OSS drivers support
>it, whereas ALSA does.

ok, thank you for that. But I would be happy if I could know why I get
the error message above.

Antoine.