[Sussex] Distros

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Apr 4 17:51:46 UTC 2005

Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> writes:

> Salut LUG!

> non-free and contrib aren't parts of Debian proper.  I'm not quite sure
> where else you mean that Debian compromises.

I already gave an example.  Debian's mozilla packages contain non-free
software according to the FSF's definition.

>>> the FSF make compromises with documentation freedom because the law
>> demands it for certain uses.
>
> Well come on, even the FSF webpage says you should use it for propaganda
> so you may as well own up to it ;)
>
> Quote from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto.html:
> 	When a section discusses the philosophy of free software, it is
> 	a good idea to make that section invariant. For instance, when
> 	we put the GNU Manifesto in a manual, or when we include a
> 	section explaining why free documentation is important, we make
> 	that section invariant.

You're absolutely right, I already pointed that out (though not the
quote).  The things is that "propaganda" is the spirit embodied in the
license under which  the software is licensed.  There is no
requirement to actually include the manifesto, it's just suggested as
a good idea to help spread the message that makes all this software
available.  I don't see why you would be anti the idea?

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com
Free Software Foundation   -   tealeg at member.fsf.org