[Sussex] Distros

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Tue Apr 5 13:36:12 UTC 2005

"Chris Jones" <cmsj at tenshu.net> writes:

> IMO this is the lowest priority project possible. It's a niche product
> with a very small niche at that.

That depends - if you're machine suddenly had a bios that controlled
what you could do (in terms of DRM) and you couldn't change that, even
though BIOS _is_ software these days then you'd have an issue.

>> Developing the gplFlash project further.
>
> Flash sucks though, it's a complete perversion of the web ;)

True, but it's non-free software that linux users commonly install.
That can be changed and it will.

>> Developing the GCC java compiler.
>> Developing the GNU classpath libraries.
>
> Good, but we need a JRE too, possibly even more than a compiler.

This falls under classpath AFAIK.

> The community didn't develop .NET, Ximian did and Novell are; With some
> help from the community. They have 25 novell developers working on it
> fulltime now afair.

There are many, many non Ximian developers helping out, and Ximian are
just as much a part of the community as you or I.

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com
Free Software Foundation   -   tealeg at member.fsf.org