[Sussex] Linus get's bitten on the arse

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Apr 8 20:26:14 UTC 2005

Andrew Guard <andrew at andrewguard.com> writes:

> OK this is the end of the world.  First it being used today and yes
> there might be bug's in it but it works.  So just stop for moment is
> O/S version going to stop being able to do what it has already been
> doing.

Yes.. it will be broken very, very soon.  The moment we move to a
binary incompatible gcc release - and that's precluding API changes
in _any_ library it relies on.

> It other words it was working yesterday so why shouldn't it work
> tomorrow, it not going to roll over and die just because there not
> going to any more work on it on O/S.
> Or think of it this way do think like all those drons out there that
> have latest and greats computer which x'Ghz just to write an e-mail is
> it any better then x'Mhz system to do e-mails?

Developing the linux kernel is not like using a static software
installation to do the same job it did a couple of years ago.

Linux _has_ to move on, it has to support new version of GCC, glibc
and so on and so forth.

Linux doesn't suffer from obsoleting in hardware to the degree that
other OS's do because so long as someone with sufficient technical
capability wants it run on their 16MB P75 it _will_ run.  Have you
tried installing Windows XP on that kit?

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology    || Free Software Foundation
gteale at cmedltd.com || tealeg at member.fsf.org