[Sussex] HDPARM

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Tue Apr 12 10:56:16 UTC 2005

"Angelo Servini" <Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk> writes:

> Hi

Morning

> Ive discovered a link that shows how to get extra performance from
> your Hard Disk drive called HDPARM.  Watch out though, it can damage
> your filesystem.  Anyone have any experience of using this facility?
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24416&highlight=hdparm

Yup.. it's fairly standard stuff.

I would advice that using it to do more than to ensure DMA is turned
on would be unwise in most cases (unless you have the manual for your
hard disk handy).

> What I would like to know is.  What setting worked best for
> you. Also, did it cause the drive to heat up too much or become
> noisy?  Also, if performance is ramped up will a filesystem like
> ReiserFS give a bit more safety?

Well.. if you're using ext3 you'll have a fully journalled file system
anyway.  ReiserFS is just a different type with a few extra features -
Resier4 is about the fastest filesystem out there right now, but most
distros haven't got support for it yet.

> What I intend is to set up a small vanilla partition setup of
> Ubuntu, then play to see what improvements I get if any.

Well, that sounds like a sensible approach.. have fun.

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com
Free Software Foundation   -   tealeg at member.fsf.org