[Sussex] Mail for Nik

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Apr 12 14:25:46 UTC 2005

Hi

On Tue, 12 April, 2005 13:55, steve at dobson.org said:
>> >   (cd <src-dir> && tar cf - .) | (cd <dst-dir> && tar xcf -)

I'm glad some mention of the pipes and netcat has appeared somewhere. I
really hope people aren't using tar c | tar x to copy directories locally
;)

Unless you really badly need to pipe things, rsync is probably better
suited to this kind of task and is able to work over ssh very easily.
Equally, if you're on a local network, doing the tar over ssh is overkill,
netcat (nc) would be far better.

This thread makes for a useful demonstration of how many ways there are to
crack a nut on unix, if nothing else :)

> Well I don't think cp(1) has an exclude patter argument that tar(1) does.

rsync does though, of course :)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones