[Sussex] Mail for Nik

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue Apr 12 17:03:16 UTC 2005

Salut LUG!

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:12:10PM +0100, steve at dobson.org wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:58:09PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > 'ello LUG
> > On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 01:55:18PM +0100, steve at dobson.org wrote:
> > > Compression might have been useful here (the network is the bottleneck).
> > >    $ tar cf - . | ssh root at 10.100.1.198 "cd /usr/src/linux-2.6 && tar xvf -"
> > The network not the encryption?
> I assume you mean compression.

No, I meant encryption.  If you just wanted compression then, er, just
compress it with your tar.  Don't bring in the overhead of encryption on
large transfers unless you need it.

> > My little laptop does much better over HTTP than ssh due to the
> > encryption.
> Your milage maybe different.  It depends upon the compression software
> used, the speed of both ends and the network bandwidth.  That was why
> I said "might."

Compression isn't pulled in by default by my ssh and I don't turn it on
in my config as I generally have good network connections everywhere I
go.

--
----------(  "Emergency!  Emergency!  There's an emergency   )----------
Simon ----(                going on!" - Holly                )---- Nomis